Tuesday, September 15, 2009

"Thank God I wasn't driving anything bigger. If it was an SUV, I would have been cut in half."

Montreal man survives crushing highway crash 

A fascinating report in Today's National Post of how a Montreal Family man survived a horrific crash, which should have left him dead.

As he slowed down with the traffic, his Mazda 3 was rear-ended by an 18-wheeler from behind, and smashed under the 18-wheeler in front.

"Thank God I wasn't in there with my kids," Adrian Glowacki was reported to as saying to the press.



Mr. Glowacki was planning to take the entire family with him in the car, his wife, two-year-old toddler, and a six-month-old baby."Thank God I wasn't driving anything bigger. If it was an SUV, I would have been cut in half." 

Contrary to the widespread belief that SUVs will always be safer than small cars, on this occasion, it seems that the reverse held true.
Could this serve to moderate the driving of those overly aggressive drivers in their behemoth SUVs, who feel immune in their tank?   I'm sure you know the ones I am referring to.


I doubt it will change anything, but if you drive a small car like me, you can take some comfort in the miraculous survival of Mr. Glowacki and the wonderful outcome for his family.

Beyond the pleasure in this positive news story, we now have an interesting case to make during discussions with those SUV juggernaut owners, remember it: 

"Remember that case in Montreal, shortly after September 11, I recall. A man in Montreal would have been cut in two if he had been driving an SUV. Mercifully for him he was in a Mazda 3 and survived." 

Montreal man relives crushing highway crash

No comments:

Post a Comment